Django Girls 2021
On Thursday 22 April 2021 evening and Saturday 24 April 2021, we are organizing a 100% virtual edition of Django Girls, a programming workshop for women aged 15 and over. Coached by CERN tutors, the participants will learn how to create a blog and deploy it on the internet. The event will happen via Zoom, in French and English. It is organized on the occasion of the International Day of Girls in ICT by three CERN teams: the Women in Technology community, the Visits and Events Organization section, and the Microclub.
The workshop is designed for total beginners, so no programming background is needed. The goal of Django Girls is to bring new people into technology, especially women who are under-represented in this field. Men can apply, but women candidates will have priority.
- Thursday 22 April 2021, 6 p.m. to 7.30 p.m.: Installation party
- Saturday 24 April 2021, 9 a.m. to 4.15 p.m.: Workshop
We are looking for volunteer coaches to facilitate the workshop. Each coach will facilitate the workshop for 3 participants.
- Programming level: This workshop is designed for participants with zero programming knowledge. As a mentor you will need to clearly explain the basics of concepts such as “How the Internet Works”, python, object-oriented programming, HTML and CSS. Everything you need to know is explained in the online tutorial https://tutorial.djangogirls.org – if you’re not sure whether you have enough knowledge to be a mentor why not try out the tutorial yourself? You do not need to have advanced knowledge, the most important requirement is to be able to explain programming to people without a technical background
- Equipment needed: computer, webcam, microphone, stable internet connection
- Schedule: you must be available both for the workshop and the installation party.
- Language: English or French
- Reward: you will receive a Django Girls Geneva mug to shine during virtual coffee breaks.
If the number of registered volunteers exceed our needs, we will give priority to women and IT experts.
Volunteers briefing sessions: participation in one of the two following Zoom briefing session is mandatory.
- In English : Thursday 8 April 2021, 1.30-2.30 p.m.
- In French : Friday 9 April 2021, 11-12 a.m.
Registration for the volunteers is open until 22 March 2021. Fill the registration form here and spread the word !
Full programme and more info on the event on https://djangogirls.org/geneva_fr/